30 May 2009

What history teaches us...

Walt Whitman was born today(1819), the same day as surgeon William Mayo (founder of the Mayo Clinic). So, today, I thought I'd throw in some Whitman quotes...

"Behold I do not give lectures or a little charity. When I give I give myself."

"Be curious, not judgmental."

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

And one of my personal favorites...

"And your very flesh shall be a great poem."

Clint Eastwood is 79 years old today (1930), and I must add that he does not appear that old to me.



Yesterday I was fortunate enough to spend the day in Destin, Florida. Shopping has gotten better (Panama City shopping did not produce favorable results for me). This trip though, I actually came home with a shopping bag. I bought a plaid tunic/mini--dress from Wet Seal.



It's great that I am able to wear a straw hat because according to studies, straw hats were not always accepted. According to a Mental Floss article, "Over several nights in September 1922, gangs of hundreds of young thugs terrorized Manhattan, destroying any 'unseasonable straw hat' they found." To read more about this article click here.

About to stroll down the harborwalk:



The say Destin is the luckiest fishing village, and that seemed apparent today. This was a recurring sight on the dock:



Not a real lighthouse, this was a statue on top of a building:



Sorry for the vertical set-up. Bass Pro Shops had all these animal prints in the sidewalk:



In the Commons at 10:30 pm. All the stores were closed so I was able to window shop at Bebe and Banana Republic, and the other stores that I could not afford:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

After I get done this spurt of OT. I just may plan on hopping a plane and heading to Florida to unwind ;) I'll bring my fedora lol! Love yours!

What is Reality Anyway? said...

So fun!

Amelia said...

I love Walt Whitman. Leaves of Grass is the best.

The pictures of you are so pretty!