21 May 2009

Art comes in all forms

German painter, Albrecht Durer would be celebrating a birthday today (1471). He is often regarded as the greatest German Renaissance artist. I first learned about Durer in my Art History class when discussing his religious works...

Adam and Eve:



The Praying Hands:



Willow Mill:



Rhinoceros:



The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse:



English poet and satirist, Alexander Pope was born today (1688). Now, I'm not too familiar with much of his work, but when i think of Alexander Pope, I think of the Da Vinci Code and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which comes from the quote by Alexander Pope:
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd."



French painter Henri Rousseau was born today (1844). The painter was named "one of the most charming painters of the period, for his art was purely traditional," according to an on-line biography.

Carnival Evening:



The Dream:



Woman Walking in Exotic Forrest:



Sleeping Gypsy:



The Chanel 2010 collection premiered in Venice. The line came about because Karl Lagerfeld "wanted to reinvent the mystique," and reinvent he did. Here are my 5 favorite looks from the show, "Coco on the Lido," as Lagerfeld himself
called it...
source: style.com









2 comments:

Amelia said...

You should definitely read some Alexander Pope. The descriptions in The Rape of the Lock are beautiful and the plot line is actually quite hilarious.

I'm liking that Chanel collection.

Syed said...

I remember sitting in the British Library looking at their Durer prints when I wrote an essay on him in my first year at uni :) He was such a talented artist! And I actually have a book of collected works by Pope, I do love his writing. Oooh Rousseau's paintings always make me smile, his use of colour was absolutely stunning. And yay the Chanel collection was such a surprise, but in a good way, it was lovely :)